The Toons boss has been linked with FC Twente duo Luuk de Jong and Douglas as well as Lille full-back Mathieu Debuchy and while it has been claimed that Newcastle are ready to pull the plug on the de Jong deal, Pardew hasn’t ruled anything out.
“We’re working on a few things,” he told the Evening Chronicle in Newcastle.
“I know this time last year we’d brought in a couple of players, but we’re very much in the market at the moment.”
It was reported earlier this week that Newcastle were ready to withdraw their interest in de Jong after they were quoted 15million euro (£12million) for the striker.
A delegation from German side Borussia Monchengladbach arrived at Twente’s Grolsch Veste stadium on Wednesday afternoon to continue talks with the Twente’s hierarchy. The Bundesliga outfit were telling the German press last week that they had agreed a deal worth 11million euro (just under £9million) for de Jong though that appears to have been premature.
Toon Battle Roma, Inter for Debuchy
Newcastle United are back in talks with Lille over a bid for full-back Mathieu Debuchy. The 26-year-old France international was the subject of a £4million bid last month which was immediately rejected by Lille. A bid of £6million could secure Debuchy’s signature but as we reported yesterday Inter Milan are also keen on securing his signature after agreeing to sell Maicon to Chelsea for £6million.
Another Italian side are being linked with interest in Debuchy with Roma said to be keen. However, reports from Italy claim he is only being considered as an alternative option to former Chelsea full-back Jose Bosingwa, who was released by the Blues at the end of last month and is now available as a free agent.
Finally, a brief note in today’s Daily Express claims Manchester United are ready to make a bid for the Newcastle pair of Demba Ba and Cheick Tiote. The paper offers no source for its story.