The Daily Mail has reported United want a deal wrapped up before the 19-year-old joins up with the rest of Brazil’s squad ahead of the Olympic Games.
The news was reported after Inter Milan had reportedly spoken to Lucas ‘s representatives on Friday. It had been thought that the Serie A side were far behind United, Real Madrid and Chelsea in the race for the teenager as their failure to qualify for the Champions League had reportedly led to a squeeze on spending this summer.
Previous reports had linked Lucas with a move to Real Madrid in 2013 but last week he claimed that he wanted to stay with Sao Paulo to give the fans there something to remember him by. However, he is now casting doubts on his future with the club, telling the Folha de Sao Paulonewspaper:
“I cannot guarantee that I will stay until the end of my contract. Much has changed and the situation is not up to me any more.
“Inter are a great club. Everyone would love to play there and I am no exception. I know my father and my agent had a meeting with the president of Inter [Massimo Moratti] but I don’t know what was said. Now I will go to the Olympics with my mind only on winning a gold medal.
“You never know what can happen. I don’t have a crazy desire to leave but, when the time comes, I will speak with my family and decide what is best for my future.”
Today’s report suggest that Inter are set to make a bid of around £20million for Lucas having had a £15million bid rejected; however, reports earlier this year linked Chelsea with a £32million bid.
“We will only sell Lucas for a huge amount because he is a great player who will triumph in Europe,” Sao Paulo president Juvenal Juvencio said in May.